Our staff is comprised of Speech Therapists that work individually with patients and families to comprise a therapeutic plan that maximizes the patient’s ability to communicate with their peers and family members.
A speech language pathologist specializes in the evaluation, diagnosis, and therapy of communication disorders, voice, fluency, swallowing as well as patients who have tracheostomy tubes and are ventilator dependent.
Little Angels therapists provide:
- Vital Stim - a non-invasive swallowing therapy obtained by external electrical stimulation that is used as a complementary therapy modality. Vital stim is provided by a certified therapist in conjunction with traditional therapy to increase the safety of the swallow.
- PROMPT Therapy - a prompt certified therapist will provide a multidimensional approach to facilitate improved oral motor skills as well as speech intelligibility to improve overall communication.
- IOPI - The IOPI is a tool that objectively measures lip and tongue strength. It is used to achieve a baseline and document progress in addition to being used in treatment to improve lip and tongue strength for speech and swallowing purposes.
- Visipitch - The Visipitch is used to assess vocal parameters in addition to providing biofeedback during vocal exercises.
- Augmentative Communication - The speech pathologist will assist in obtaining and/or utilizing an alternative method of communication to increase the individual's ability to express themselves.
Little Angels Center provides individualized and group-based services to our patients, to facilitate the use of pragmatic language in appropriate social situations. We assist the patients in developing communication, utilizing verbal and non-verbal communication strategies. Techniques used include verbal communication, sign language, picture identification, and appropriate augmentative communication devices to probe language.
Little Angels Center performs dysphagia evaluations to prevent the risk of aspiration. The speech therapist will provide feeding and swallowing therapy by strengthening the oral motor musculature and by altering the texture, thickness, or types of food/liquids consumed, as well as, use a variety of therapeutic techniques to increase the safety of the swallow.
ADULT DAY PROGRAM
Little Angels Center's Day Program provides oversight and supervision, cognitive training and social interaction for adults who suffer from Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, Dementia, and other brain disorders. The Day Program provides the patients with activities to improve attention, memory, language skills, activities of daily living, functional math skills, socialization, as well as, cooking, music, and arts and crafts. Our program addresses the specific goals of each individual to increase their independence to their fullest potential.